Two area historic districts nominated for National Register of Historic Places
08/16/2013 10:07 AM
08/16/2013 10:07 AM
Eleven properties in Kansas have been nominated to the National Register of Historic Places, including the El Dorado downtown historic district, the Linwood Place historic district in south Wichita and two limestone bridges in Gove County.
The nominations were made this month by the Historic Sites Board of Review and have been forwarded on to the Office of the Keeper of the National Register of Historic Places in Washington, D.C, a process that typically can take about six months to complete.
The El Dorado Downtown Historic District in Butler County includes El Dorado’s business district and 111 properties along Main Street.
The Linwood Place Historic District in Wichita is 40 acres in south Wichita near the aircraft-related industrial area. It includes 90 four-plex buildings, a maintenance shop and several other buildings. It was originally developed and built by Ray Garvey and his son, Willard, of Builders Inc.
Both districts were nominated for contributions to local significance in community planning, architecture and commerce.
The Jenkins and Benson Culverts southwest of Gove are actually double- and triple-arch limestone bridges built in 1938 as Works Progress Administration projects. Both were nominated as part of the New Deal-era Resources of Kansas and Masonry Arch Bridges of Kansas.
Other properties nominated throughout Kansas include:
Westwood Hills Historic District in Johnson County; St. John the Divine Catholic Church in Kansas City; the Cordell D. Meeks Sr. House in Kansas City; the Gustave Kubach House, in Abilene; the New Lancaster General Store and the New Lancaster Garage Hall, No. 223 in New Lancaster, Miami County, and the Peter Thoes Barn near Alma in Wabaunsee County.
One other building from Wichita was nominated to the Kansas Register of Historic Places. It is the Lahn Building at 2206, 2208, 2210 E. Douglas in Wichita. The building, across from East High School, was constructed in 1922 by Latvian Jewish immigrants Eli Lahn and his son-in-law David Krashim.
The two-story building had retail businesses on the first floor and apartments on the top floor. It was nominated for its significance in local commerce.