Blue-green algae particularly harmful to dogs

07/25/2013 9:47 AM

07/25/2013 9:49 AM

With algae blooms in the news recently in Kansas, a toxicologist at Kansas State University is warning that people, including those with pet dogs, need to take the threat of poisoning seriously, the university said in a statement Thursday.

Blue-green algae make toxins dangerous to people and potentially fatal to dogs, Deon van der Merwe, associate professor of diagnostic medicine and pathobiology, said in the university statement.

Blue-green algae, a cyanobacteria, grow in lakes, ponds, and wet soil or rocks, he said in the statement.

Van der Merwe manages the toxicology section of the Kansas State Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory. He said the algae grow when water has excess nutrients. The blooms and discolored water and scum that go with it can last from days to weeks, the statement said.

Humans usually suffer from rashes and other irritations, but the algae can kill dogs, producing the toxin microsystin, which attacks the gastrointestinal tract and liver, van der Merwe said.

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service