The calendar still says July, but teachers, parents and retailers are already preparing for back-to-school season.
The Sedgwick County Health Department is reminding parents to make time for the vaccinations their children need in order to attend school.
The health department will offer a special Saturday vaccination clinic Aug. 3 from 9 a.m. until noon at its facility at 2716 W. Central. Parents are asked to bring their children’s shot records as well as proof of income if their children are uninsured. Most insurance is accepted, including Medicare and Medicaid.
Required vaccinations for the 2013-14 school year include:
• DTAP: 5 doses
• Polio: 4 doses
• MMR: 2 doses
• Hepatitis B: 3 doses
• Varicella: 2 doses for grades K-4 and 7-9; 1 dose for grades 5-6 and 10-12
• HIB: 4 doses for children younger than 5
• Pneumococcal: 4 doses for children younger than 5
• Hepatitis A: 2 doses for children younger than 5
• Tdap: 1 dose for grades 7-12
For more information on vaccinations, contact the Sedgwick County Health Department at 316-660-7300.