Many residents using Sedgwick County’s storm debris site
07/09/2013 9:24 AM
07/09/2013 10:11 AM
A storm debris site Sedgwick County opened last week has taken almost 5,000 loads so far, commissioners said Tuesday.
“I think we did the right thing,” Commissioner Tim Norton said of the collection site on the east side of 63rd Street South and Meridian at the Big Ditch. “Meridian looks like a field of dreams. Every time I’ve been by there you see a constant queue of trucks.”
Norton said it would have cost homeowners a lot of money to take tree branches and brush to a landfill.
County officials said residents are not taking advantage of the site by dumping other items such as appliances and tires.
“It has not been abused. We have found one television set. That’s it,” public works director David Spears said.
Spears said the site will be open through at least July or for as long as it’s needed.
The county eventually will burn the storm debris.
Join the Discussion
The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.