Boy, 8, burned in accident when fire ignites gas can (2013)

07/04/2013 5:10 PM

08/06/2014 12:09 PM

An 8-year-old who was lighting sticks on fire was burned on his right leg and abdomen Wednesday night, Wichita police say.

The accident in the 2000 block of South Fieldcrest, near Maize and Kellogg was initially reported to be fireworks-related but was not, Sgt. Steve Yarberry said Thursday.

Yarberry said the child’s grandmother said the boy was lighting sticks on fire, using them as a torch of sorts, when one of them fell into a two-gallon gas can and ignited, burning him.

Emergency personnel took the boy to Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis, where he was in fair condition Thursday.

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service