No charges filed against Wichita State Final Four player accused of rape
05/31/2013 1:31 PM
05/31/2013 1:32 PM
No charges will be filed against a player on Wichita State University’s Final Four basketball team who had been accused of rape, the Sedgwick County District Attorney’s Office announced Friday.
“After reviewing the facts of the case, the applicable law and discussing the matter with the reporting party and her family, the decision has been made that no charges will be filed at this time,” District Attorney Marc Bennett said in a prepared statement. “Like any case, if additional information comes to light, the case can be reconsidered in the future.”
A 20-year-old woman told police she woke up while being raped at the residence of one of the former player’s teammates early on the morning of April 21. She said the incident occurred between 3:57 and 4:30 a.m. on that Sunday morning. She reported the alleged assault at 11:10 a.m. that day.
The woman agreed to be examined, and a sexual assault exam was performed. The accused player has used up his eligibility, police have previously stated.
Join the Discussion
The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.