Sites, times for Wichita summer meals program announced
05/16/2013 3:25 PM
05/16/2013 3:25 PM
Wichita students will head home for summer break soon, but many school cafeterias and other sites will continue to serve meals to hungry children.
Thirty-seven sites around the city will offer free breakfasts, lunches or afternoon snacks as part of the Summer Food Service Program, which begins May 29.
The program is run by the Wichita school district and paid for by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
The program is open to all children under 18 but targets those who are eligible for free or reduced-price lunches during the school year. About three-fourths of the 50,000 students who attend Wichita schools are eligible to receive free or reduced-price breakfasts and lunches.
No proof of residency or income is required for the summer meals.
Some sites will offer meals throughout the length of the program, while others will offer meals sometime during those months. Some will offer both breakfast and lunch, others will offer only one meal; seven sites will offer an afternoon snack.
Here are this year’s locations and meal times. The program begins May 29 and is offered weekdays unless otherwise specified:
Central Wichita• Interfaith Ministries, 902 N. Market: lunch noon-1 p.m.
• YMCA Central Branch, 402 N. Market: lunch noon-1 p.m.
Northwest Wichita• Benton Elementary, 338 S. Woodchuck Lane: lunch noon-12:45 p.m.; snack, 4:15-4:45 p.m.
• Black Elementary, 1045 High: breakfast 8-8:30 a.m.; lunch 11:30 a.m.-noon
• Cloud Elementary, 1212 W. 25th St. North: lunch 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.; snack 3:30-4 p.m.
• D.T. McKnight Youth and Community Center, 540 N. Hydraulic: breakfast 8-8:30 a.m.; lunch 11:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m.
• Dodge Elementary, 4801 W. Second St.: breakfast 8:30-9 a.m.; lunch noon-12:30 p.m.
• Earhart Elementary, 4401 N. Arkansas: breakfast 8:30-9 a.m.; lunch 11:30 a.m.-noon.
• Evergreen Recreation Center, 2700 N. Woodland: breakfast 8-8:30 a.m.
• Franklin Elementary, 214 S. Elizabeth: breakfast 8-8:45 a.m.; lunch 11:45 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
• L’Ouverture Elementary, 1539 Ohio: breakfast 8:30-9 a.m., lunch 11:45 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
• Levy Special Education Center, 400 N. Woodchuck: breakfast 7:45-8:15 a.m.; lunch 10:45 a.m.-12:15 p.m. Begins June 10; closed Fridays.
• Pleasant Valley Middle School, 2220 W. 29th St. North: breakfast 8:15-9 a.m.; lunch 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Begins June 3, closed Fridays.
• Woodland Elementary, 1705 Salina; breakfast 8:15-9 a.m.; lunch noon-12:30 p.m.
Northeast Wichita• Atwater Neighborhood City Hall, 2755 E. 19th St.: snack 3:30-4 p.m.
• Boys & Girls Club Opportunity Lane, 2400 N. Opportunity Drive: breakfast 7:45-8:30 a.m.; lunch 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Begins June 3.
• Brotherhood Presbyterian Church, 2328 E. 13th St.: lunch 11 a.m.-noon. Begins June 24.
• Chisholm Trail Elementary, 6015 Independence: breakfast 8:30-9:15 a.m.; lunch 11:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m.
• Dellrose United Methodist Church, 1502 N. Dellrose: breakfast 9-9:30 a.m.; lunch noon-12:45 p.m.
• Jackson Elementary, 2717 N. Woodlawn: breakfast 8:30-9 a.m.; lunch 11:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m.
• Little Early Childhood Center, 1613 Piatt: breakfast 8:30-9 a.m.; lunch noon-12:45 p.m. Begins June 10, closed Fridays.
• Minneha Elementary, 701 N. Webb Road: lunch 11:45 a.m.-12:15 p.m.; snack 3:30-4 p.m.
• Mueller Elementary, 2500 E. 18th St.: breakfast 8:30-9 a.m.; lunch noon-1 p.m.
• Price-Harris Elementary, 706 N. Armour: lunch noon-12:45 p.m.; snack 4-4:30 p.m.
• St. Mark United Methodist Church, 1525 N. Lorraine: breakfast 8-8:45 a.m., lunch 11:45 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Begins June 3.
• St. Marks Church of God in Christ, 1018 N. Dellrose: lunch noon-12:45 p.m.
• Spaght Elementary, 2316 E. 10th St.: breakfast 8-8:30 a.m.; lunch noon-12:45 p.m.
Southwest Wichita• Enterprise Elementary, 3605 S. Gold: breakfast 8-8:30 a.m.; lunch 11:45 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
• Kelly Elementary, 3143 S. Millwood: breakfast 8-8:30 a.m., lunch 11:30 a.m.-noon.
• Linwood Elementary, 1654 S. Hydraulic: breakfast 8-8:30 a.m.; lunch 11:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m.
• Linwood Recreation Center, 1901 S. Kansas: snack 4-4:30 p.m.
• Stanley Elementary, 1749 S. Martinson: breakfast 8-8:30 a.m., lunch 11:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m.
• Woodman Elementary, 2500 Hiram: breakfast 8-8:30 a.m.; lunch 11:45 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Southeast Wichita• Allen Elementary, 1881 S. Elpyco, breakfast 8:30-9 a.m.; lunch 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
• Boys & Girls Club Oaklawn, 4902 S. Clifton: breakfast 8-8:45 a.m.; lunch noon-1 p.m. Begins June 3.
• Colvin Elementary, 2820 S. Roosevelt: lunch noon-1 p.m.; snack 3:30-4 p.m.
• Seltzer Elementary, 11660 E. Lincoln: breakfast 8:30-9 a.m.; lunch noon-12:45 p.m.