Four more downtown Wichita buildings have been listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The nominations were made by the Historic Sites Board of Review, and the buildings were entered into the National Register on May 1.
Currently, Kansas has 1,034 buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Sites, the nation’s list of historically significant properties.
To be eligible for listing, buildings must meet certain criteria, including the building’s age, integrity and significance. Properties must be at least 50 years old to be considered.
While the historic designation can bring prestige to a property, it can also bring money – specifically tax credits for improvement. Owners of historically designated properties can receive up to 25 percent of their improvement investment back as state tax credit.
The latest buildings are:
• The Woolf Brothers Clothing Co. Building, 135 E. Douglas. The building was constructed in 1923 and operated as a clothing store in the Woolf Brothers chain of stores, which had its headquarters in Kansas City. The three-story building was designed by Lorentz Schmidt and built by George Siedhoff in the Chicago School of Architecture style. It was nominated for its significance to Wichita commerce.
• The Commodore Apartment Hotel, 222 E. Elm. The building, which features the Spanish Colonial Revival style, is the tallest in north downtown Wichita. The nine-story building, which opened in 1929, was developed by the Hurley-Park Investment Co. of Tulsa, a partnership between then Secretary of War Patrick Hurley and builder and Realtor Robert R. Park. The architect was Nelle Elizabeth Peters of Kansas City.
• The Westside IOOF Lodge, 928 and 930 W. Douglas. The Westside International Order of Odd Fellows was organized in 1888 and built the two-story building at the corner of Walnut and West Douglas in 1911. The building was nominated for its significance to local social history.
• Fourth National Bank Building, 100-110 N. Market. The building was the bank’s headquarters from 1916 to 1971. It was extensively remodeled in 1958, when pink marble and deep red granite panels were installed on the bank’s exterior along with aluminum-framed windows. The building was nominated for its significance to local commerce and architecture.