Deputies will ride the rails Tuesday to help catch drivers who fail to stop for approaching trains, the Sedgwick County Sheriff’s Office said.
The operation, involving Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad, the Sheriff’s Office, Wichita Police Department and the Kansas Highway Patrol, will be from 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, the Sheriff’s Office said in an e-mail Monday.
Violators can face a $195 fine and a $100 court cost, the office said.
The office gave these rules to follow when near a railroad crossing:• Always expect a train.
• Always look and listen in both directions before trying to cross a railroad track.
• Never drive around lowered gates.
• If a vehicle stalls on a crossing, immediately get everyone out and far away from the tracks. Move away from the tracks in the direction from which the train is coming.
• Remember that trains can’t stop quickly.
• Never race a train to the crossing.