96-year-old woman burned in kitchen fire dies; funeral Tuesday

05/06/2013 7:59 AM

05/06/2013 7:59 AM

Funeral services will be held Tuesday for the 96-year-old woman who was burned in a kitchen fire last week while making her daily cappuccino.

Esther Cohoon died on Friday, two days after the fire. Her robe came into contact with the natural gas burner on the range top in the kitchen of her home shortly after 6 a.m. Wednesday in the 3100 block of North Wellington Place, authorities have said.

She suffered burns on her head, front and back. Her grandson was awakened by the smoke alarm at the house northwest of 29th and Broadway and found her in the kitchen. She was taken to the burn unit at Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis.

Cohoon’s funeral will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday at Pleasant Valley Baptist Church, 3101 N. Coolidge. Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. today at Lakeview Funeral Home.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service