Woman, 96, in critical condition after kitchen fire

05/01/2013 7:31 AM

05/01/2013 7:32 AM

A 96-year-old woman was seriously burned while making her daily cappuccino Wednesday morning in north Wichita, authorities said.

The woman’s robe came into contact with the natural gas burner on the range top in the kitchen of her home in the 3100 block of North Wellington Place, fire Lt. Joe Evans said.

“Her robe caught on fire and she was burned on her front and back, including her head,” Evans said in an e-mail.

Her grandson, who lives with her, was awakened by the smoke alarm at the house northwest of 29th and Broadway and “discovered his grandmother on fire in the kitchen,” Evans said.

He called 911 shortly after 6 a.m., Evans said.

The woman, identified as Esther Cohoon, remained in critical condition in the burn unit of Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis on Wednesday afternoon, hospital spokeswoman Maria Loving said by e-mail Wednesday afternoon.

She has second- and third-degree burns over about 33 percent of her body, Evans said, along with injuries to her nasal passages and airway.

A Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor said no other fire damage was reported in the incident.

Cohoon’s name was released at her family’s request, Loving said.

Contributing: Amy Renee Leiker of The Eagle

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service