Fire damages house in west Wichita
04/25/2013 7:51 AM
04/25/2013 7:52 AM
Fire damaged a house in west Wichita late Wednesday night, authorities said.
The fire was reported at 7338 W. Dorsey just before 10:45 p.m. Wednesday, a Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor said. That’s just west of Ridge Road and about midway between Central and 13th Street.
It took firefighters less than half an hour to put out the fire, the supervisor said.
An investigation revealed the fire was started when the person who lives there opened the door to a basement bedroom and knocked over a lit candle on a dresser, Lt. Joe Evans said. Damage was estimated at $40,000.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.