Grease fire damages duplex in southeast Wichita

03/18/2013 7:52 AM

03/18/2013 9:48 AM

Fire damaged a duplex in southeast Wichita late Sunday night, authorities said.

The fire was reported shortly before 9:30 p.m. at 4421 E. Bayley, a Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor said. That is southwest of Lincoln and Oliver.

“The kitchen stove was being used to heat the residence and accidentally ignited a pan of grease,” Capt. Stuart Bevis said in an e-mail response to questions.

Firefighters needed less than 20 minutes to put out the fire at the duplex, which records show was built in 1941. No injuries were reported.

Damage was set at $10,000 to the duplex and its contents, Bevis said.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service