Southeast High supporters launch social media campaign to save school
03/08/2013 5:47 PM
08/06/2014 1:29 AM
Wichita residents who oppose closing Southeast High School have launched an online and social media campaign urging school district leaders to stop any plans to move the school.
Mike Garvey, president of Builders Inc., said he is part of “a group of concerned citizens” who started SaveSoutheast.com.
A message on the site urges people to sign an online petition, contact Wichita school board members and attend a board meeting Monday to voice opposition to the proposal.
The board is considering how to move forward with what’s left of a $370 million bond issue, including a new high school at 127th Street East and Pawnee and nearly $12 million worth of improvements to Southeast High School, at Lincoln and Edgemoor.
Superintendent John Allison hasn’t made any formal recommendations to the board. But he has said the district doesn’t have the funds to operate a new high school in addition to Southeast.
Earlier this week, Garvey – who owns property west of Southeast High – urged board members not to close the school or use it for another purpose.
A petition on the new website asks board members to “stop your plans to move Southeast High School from its current location. Southeast High School is a vital part of its community, and should not be moved.”
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.