Fire damages house in west Wichita; family escapes unharmed

03/07/2013 8:06 AM

03/07/2013 8:06 AM

Fire damaged a house in west Wichita late Wednesday night, authorities said.

The fire was reported just before 11 p.m. at 422 N. Clayton, a Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor said. That’s northwest of Second and Meridian.

It took firefighters less than 20 minutes to put out the fire. No injuries were reported, the supervisor said, but the Red Cross was called out to assist the family that lived in the small, two-bedroom house that was built in 1941.

Fire Lt. Joe Evans said an investigation revealed an electrical malfunction ignited the fire. Damage was estimated at $35,000 to the house and its contents.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the discussion

is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service