House fire in south Wichita displaces four

03/05/2013 8:32 AM

03/05/2013 8:32 AM

Fire heavily damaged a house in south Wichita late Monday night, authorities said.

The fire was reported at about 10:20 p.m. at 2106 S. Broadway, a Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor said. That’s south of Mount Vernon.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire in less than half an hour. No injuries were reported, but the Red Cross was called out to assist one adult and three young children who lived there.

Wichita Fire Lt. Joe Evans said “an electrical issue within the attic” started the fire, which caused an estimated $50,000 in damage to the house and its contents.

“Investigators on the scene reported heavy fire damage in the attic,” Evans said in an e-mail response to questions.

Red Cross spokesman James Williams said the woman and children were given a place to sleep, food and infant supplies. The children are a 5-year-old boy, a 5-year-old girl and a 10-month-old boy.

Records show the two-bedroom, one-bath house was built in 1925 and had an estimated property value of about $56,000. The fire left the house uninhabitable, Evans said.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the discussion

is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service