Wichita school district names Distinguished Classroom Teacher recipients
03/01/2013 11:00 AM
03/01/2013 11:00 AM
Seven Wichita teachers were surprised in their classrooms or at school assemblies Friday morning with news that they received the 2013 Distinguished Classroom Teacher Award from the Wichita school district, officials said.
The recipients:• New teacher, elementary: Jessica Fuchs, kindergarten teacher at Jefferson Elementary
• New teacher, secondary: Deanna Sinisgalli, sixth-grade math teacher at Mayberry Cultural and Fine Arts Magnet
• Primary teacher (grades pre-K-2): Deborah Fagg, first-grade teacher at Minneha Core Knowledge Magnet
• Intermediate teacher (grades 3-5): Kathy Abdul-Hameed, fourth-grade teacher at Franklin Elementary
• Middle school: Frances Oare, orchestra teacher at Coleman Middle School
• High school: Steve Parks, math teacher at Heights High School
• Support teacher: Todd Junker, P.E. teacher at Christa McAuliffe Academy
The teachers were nominated by peers, building administrators or parents. The winners were selected by a committee that includes principals, assistant principals, teachers, support staff, assistant superintendents and a member of United Teachers of Wichita.
The teachers will be recognized at the school board meeting March 25. At the meeting, officials will announce which will represent the district for the prestigious Kansas Teacher of the Year award and the Kansas Horizon Award, which honors outstanding first-year teachers.
Join the Discussion
The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.