Wichita police on Tuesday provided more information about an explosion Friday involving two brothers and illegal drugs used to celebrate a $75,000 lottery winning.
According to earlier reports from police, someone was trying to use butane to light bongs to inhale drugs; the butane vapor exploded when it reached a furnace pilot light. The explosion occurred while three adults and two children were in a duplex in the 100 block of North Nevada Court, near Douglas and West.
On Tuesday, police Lt. Doug Nolte said that two girls, ages 10 and 6, who were in the home at the time of the explosion, were not injured. The children apparently remain with family members, Nolte said.
One of the two brothers reportedly celebrating the lottery win was taken to a hospital with second-degree burns on 10 percent of his body. He has been released from the hospital. He has not been arrested, Nolte said. Police arrested his 25-year-old brother on suspicion of drug possession, including methamphetamine and marijuana.
Never miss a local story.
The children’s mother is the girlfriend of the brother who was burned, Nolte said.