Children were present in house during lottery party explosion, police say
02/19/2013 11:18 AM
05/08/2013 12:19 PM
Wichita police on Tuesday provided more information about an explosion Friday involving two brothers and illegal drugs used to celebrate a $75,000 lottery winning.
According to earlier reports from police, someone was trying to use butane to light bongs to inhale drugs; the butane vapor exploded when it reached a furnace pilot light. The explosion occurred while three adults and two children were in a duplex in the 100 block of North Nevada Court, near Douglas and West.
On Tuesday, police Lt. Doug Nolte said that two girls, ages 10 and 6, who were in the home at the time of the explosion, were not injured. The children apparently remain with family members, Nolte said.
One of the two brothers reportedly celebrating the lottery win was taken to a hospital with second-degree burns on 10 percent of his body. He has been released from the hospital. He has not been arrested, Nolte said. Police arrested his 25-year-old brother on suspicion of drug possession, including methamphetamine and marijuana.
The children’s mother is the girlfriend of the brother who was burned, Nolte said.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.