Fire heavily damages business in west Wichita

01/24/2013 12:05 PM

01/24/2013 12:07 PM

Fire so heavily damaged a west Wichita business late Wednesday afternoon that investigators say they can’t tell how it started.

The fire broke out at Hanna Heating and Air in the 200 block of North West Street at about 4:15 p.m. Wednesday, a Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor said. West Street was closed between Douglas and Second Street for a few hours as crews battled the fire.

“Due to the amount of fire damage and several potential ignition sources, we could not pinpoint an exact cause,” Fire Lt. Joe Evans said.

The fire started in the northeast quadrant of the building and caused $1 million damage to the structure and its contents, he said.

The blaze was reported extinguished just before 6 p.m., though a fire crew stayed on the scene through the night monitoring for hotspots.

West Street reopened for traffic in that area at 7:10 p.m., the dispatch supervisor said.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service