Unattended cooking ignites house fire in north Wichita

01/04/2013 8:38 AM

01/04/2013 8:39 AM

A teenage boy became so absorbed in his homework Thursday afternoon that he forgot about the food he was cooking on the stove, Wichita fire officials said.

The resulting fire caused an estimated $35,000 in damage, Capt. Stuart Bevis said. The 13-year-old boy was able to quickly escape the house and was not hurt.

The blaze was reported shortly before 3:30 p.m. Thursday at 2523 E. Raleigh, which is near 25th Street North and Grove.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service