House fire displaces three people near 17th, Hillside
01/02/2013 12:11 PM
01/02/2013 12:12 PM
Three people were displaced when fire broke out at a house southwest of Wichita State University on Tuesday afternoon, authorities said.
The fire was reported just after 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at 1730 N. Chautauqua, a Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor said. That’s just southwest of 17th and Hillside.
The three residents of the house — a 47-year-old man and two women who are both 52 — were not injured in the fire, but the Red Cross was called out to assist them. Red Cross spokesman James Williams said lodging is being provided for three nights, and the Red Cross is also providing food, clothing and seasonal garments for the three victims.
An investigation revealed the fire started due to someone smoking in bed, Wichita Fire Capt. Stuart Bevis said. Damage to the house and its contents was set at $40,000.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.