Gas leak causes Gardiner Elementary to evacuate, cancel rest of school day

12/20/2012 1:28 PM

12/20/2012 5:04 PM

A gas leak Thursday morning at Gardiner Elementary, 1951 S. Laura, forced the building to be evacuated and then for school to be canceled for the rest of the day.

A gas smell was detected shortly before 11 a.m., so the school’s 550 students evacuated the building, Wichita school district spokeswoman Susan Arensman said.

The students were taken to nearby St. Luke’s Presbyterian Church, 1800 S. Washington, she added.

After it was determined it was going to take a while to repair the leak, school officials made the decision shortly before noon to cancel classes for the rest of the day. Wichita schools begin their winter break Friday and students don’t return until Jan. 3.

Students were fed lunch and given activities to do until their parents could pick them up, Arensman said.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service