Two exposed to high amounts of carbon monoxide in south Wichita

11/28/2012 12:05 AM

11/28/2012 12:07 AM

Two people were hospitalized after they were exposed to toxic amounts of carbon monoxide early Tuesday evening, a Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor said.

The pair was operating a portable generator inside of a residence in the 2200 block of South Holyoke Court about 5:20 p.m. when the poisonous gas filled the building, near Hillside and Pawnee. One person sustained critical injuries, the dispatch supervisor said.

The other was taken to the hospital in serious condition.

Wichita Fire Department and Sedgwick County Emergency Medical Services responded to the 911 call. A hazardous materials unit was also on scene for about 30 minutes, the dispatch supervisor said.

Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless gas produced when fuels such as oil, gasoline or coal burn. Exposure symptoms mimic signs of other illnesses, often leading victims to think they have the flu or food poisoning, according to a posting on Sedgwick County Fire District 1’s website.

Moderate and high levels of exposure can be deadly.

Symptoms include shortness of breath, mild nausea and headaches, dizziness and light-headedness. Those exposed to carbon monoxide should seek a source of fresh air immediately and call 911, according to the fire district’s website.

The department also suggests operating generators outside and at least 10 feet away from buildings.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service