Fire heavily damages elderly couple’s home in north Wichita

10/24/2012 8:31 AM

10/24/2012 8:33 AM

Two elderly occupants escaped injury when their house caught fire near North High School early Tuesday afternoon, authorities said.

The fire was reported at 1:20 p.m. at 1618 N. Jackson, Wichita Fire Capt. Stuart Bevis said. That is north of 13th Street and just west of Waco.

The residents of the house discovered the fire on the front porch, then closed the front door and made their way to the back door to escape, Bevis said. Neighbors also noticed the flames and went to the house to help the residents escape.

“Crews did a good job getting the fire under control, but the high winds drove the fire through the home,” Bevis said in an e-mail response to questions.

Damage was set at $80,000 to the house and its contents, he said. The fire was likely started by a cigarette discarded on the front porch.

The Red Cross was notified to provide assistance to the couple that lived in the home, Bevis said.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service