Smoldering rags cause of smoke at Old Town’s Oeno Wine Bar

10/15/2012 3:23 PM

10/15/2012 3:24 PM

Smoldering rags were cited Monday as the cause for a smoky haze and odor filling the Oeno Wine Bar in Old Town.

Wichita firefighters responded to a call shortly before 1:30 p.m. and found the rags that had been used in the kitchen or bar smoldering on a shelf in a storage area, Capt. Stuart Bevis said.

The rags had been laundered and were put on the shelf after being taken out of the dryer, Bevis said. That’s when spontaneous combustion took over.

“You never quite get all of the cooking oils out of the rags,” Bevis said. “They were a little warm from the dryer.”

The damage was contained to the rags. Not even the shelf was damaged, he said.

But the event did bring a significant response from the fire department.

“We’d rather it turn out this way than the other way,” Bevis said.

Firefighters used fans to help clear out the smoke.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service