An El Dorado couple escaped serious injury when fire destroyed their house early Sunday evening, authorities said.
The fire was reported shortly after 5 p.m. in the 1900 block of Jason Drive, which is on the east edge of the city and just west of El Dorado Lake, said El Dorado Fire Chief Ken Nakaten.
“We believe, from initial indications, it began on the back deck,” Nakaten said.
Investigators suspect a barbecue grill may have started the fire, which then spread to the rest of the house. The husband and wife were taken to Susan B. Allen Hospital in El Dorado with first-degree burns and smoke inhalation, Nakaten said.
Never miss a local story.
They were then transferred to the burn unit at Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis in Wichita, where they were treated and released, a hospital spokeswoman said.
It took fire crews about an hour to put out the fire, Nakaten said. Damage exceeded $300,000, and the house is a total loss.