Lansing volunteer killed while cleaning up fireworks
07/05/2012 10:05 AM
07/05/2012 12:09 PM
A volunteer was killed Wednesday night while cleaning up after the Lansing Fourth of July fireworks show and a firework exploded near him, according to KCTV5, The Star’s reporting partner.
Authorities said the 44-year-old Lansing man helped with the setup and disposal of fireworks used in the city's Independence Day fireworks show at Kenneth W. Bernard Community Park in Lansing.
Crews were disposing of fireworks that had not discharged, and one exploded near the man, KCTV5 reported.
Event attendees had already left the park when the man was killed, police said.
The man's death was an accident, according to an initial investigation conducted by the Lansing Police Department.
The man's name hasn't been released.
Join the Discussion
The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.