News

July 4, 2012

Fireworks believed to be cause of Park City house fire

Fireworks are the probable cause of an early Wednesday morning house fire in Park City that did an undetermined amount of damage.

Fireworks are the probable cause of an early Wednesday morning house fire in Park City that did an undetermined amount of damage.

Investigators believe the 1 a.m. fire in the 6300 block of North Upchurch in Park City was caused by spent fireworks piled outside against the house, said Stu Segraves, Sedgwick County Fire Department division chief.

There were no injuries in the fire.

“The suspicion is that the fire is fireworks-related, from spent fireworks piled against the side of the house,” Segraves said. “It began as an exterior fire and then spread into an attic and living area. Fire crews got a fairly quick stop.”

Segraves said damage estimates were incomplete.

“The family was awakened by the sounds of the fire, apparently, since there was literally no smoke inside the house,” Segraves said. “It certainly could have been worse.”

Related content

Comments

Videos

Editor's Choice Videos