Sedgwick Co. treasurer: Wait times at tag offices back to normal

06/10/2012 5:00 AM

08/05/2014 8:18 PM

Sedgwick County Treasurer Linda Kizzire said wait times at county tag offices are normal for this time of year and that the state’s new computer system “is very stable.”

“I’m very pleased with the results,” Kizzire said last week.

According to Kizzire, the new system is processing at approximately the same speed as the old system. In the past month, the new system has processed 28,443 records in Sedgwick County, just shy of the approximate 30,000 records processed with the old system last year, she said.

Drivers in Sedgwick County who were taking care of tag work on Friday seem to agree with Kizzire and said they didn’t notice anything outside the usual delays.

The tag office at 200 W. Murdock was crowded Friday, with some attributing their longer wait times to the small staff. No one noticed computer problems.

Melody Yancey and Maurice Ornelas arrived at the Murdock office around 11 a.m. to get a title and tags for Ornelas’ new car. Seventeenth in line, they left the office and returned at 1 p.m. They left the office with their new title and tags around 2:30 p.m.

“I thought it was a staff issue,” Yancey said. “I also think that the title part takes a long time. It was fast as soon as we got to the counter.”

Ruben Aguilera, number 19 in line, said he waited a little over two and a half hours to renew his tags after arriving around 11:30 a.m.

“There are only three, four people at the desk, so that’s probably why it took a long time,” Aguilera said.

Drivers at the Brittany Center tag office at 2120 N. Woodlawn didn’t have to wait as long as those at Murdock on Friday, but some still felt the delay.

One driver, after opening the door and seeing the line, immediately left, saying, “I ain’t got no patience for that.”

Others didn’t notice the delay. Lynette Murphy and her daughter, Mattie, were getting tags for their new car and expected a wait.

“It didn’t seem that long to me,” Lynette Murphy said.

Two weeks ago, when the wait time was close to three or four hours, Kizzire said she was not as confident in the system as she is now.

“When the system went down for extended periods of time during the day, we couldn’t do anything,” Kizzire said. “It would go down for 2 to 4 hours at a time.”

Kizzire said the May backlog has been cleared.

“We’re not anywhere near (the wait) we had in May,” she said.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service