Most swimming pools and water parks in the Wichita area will open this weekend, allowing a respite from the hot Kansas summer just as temperatures begin to climb.
Preparation for the pool openings this weekend began months ago. The most recent step was the hiring and training of lifeguards, said Shelley Conrady, communications director for the Greater Wichita YMCA. The YMCA will open its four outdoor waterparks Saturday.
“We have over 200 lifeguards,” Conrady said. “Before the season we make sure they all have their certifications. We do a city-wide in-service. We close down our pools for a day and train all of our lifeguards together.
“We’ll continue to work with our lifeguards. Every week we have a meeting with them where we go over if there are any issues, any saves, or anything to learn from the previous weeks.”
Wichita’s city pools will open for the season on Monday. Although the pools are opening on Memorial Day, they are normally closed on Mondays through the season.
Admission is $3 for adults, $2 for children under 18, and an $8 family rate (for up to six people). Discount coupons are available at each pool: $60 for 50 coupons or $40 for 25 coupons. Each coupon admits one child or one adult.
Wichita city pools• Aley Park, 1800 S. Seneca, open through Aug. 11, 1:30 to 6 p.m. daily except Mondays.
• Boston Park, 6700 E. Boston, open through Aug. 3, 1:30 to 6 p.m. daily except Mondays and Sundays.
• College Hill Park, 304 S. Circle Dr., open through Aug. 11, 1:30 to 7 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays and 1:30 to 6 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays.
• Evergreen Park, 2700 N. Woodland, open through Aug. 4, 1:30 to 6 p.m. daily except Mondays.
• Harvest Park, 9500 W. Provincial, open through Aug. 11, 1:30 to 6 p.m. daily except Mondays.
• Linwood Park South, 1900 S. Hydraulic, open through Aug. 4, 1:30 to 6 p.m. daily except Mondays.
• McAdams Park, 1556 N. Ohio, open through Aug. 4, 1:30 to 5:30 p.m. daily except Mondays.
• Minisa Park, 1350 N. Jeanette, open through Aug. 4, 1:30 to 7 p.m. Tuesday- Friday; 1:30 to 5:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday
• Orchard Park, 1062 N. Clara, open through Aug. 4, 1:30 to 6 p.m. daily except Mondays.
All are free and operate from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily. Fountains may be closed at any time due to weather.• Central Riverside Park, 720 Nims
• Fairmont Park, 1647 N. Yale
• Lincoln Park, 1323 S. Topeka
• Osage Park, 2121 W. 31st St. South
• Reflection Square Park, 205 E. Douglas
• Warren Old Town Plaza, 334 N. Mead (operates 10 a.m. to midnight)
Water parks• Wellington Family Aquatic Center, 1101 W. Harvey, Wellington. Opened Wednesday and will remain open through Aug. 18, 1 to 7 p.m. daily. Admission: 17 and under, $2.50; adults under 55, $3.50; adults 55 and over, $2.50; children two and under are free. Season pass: $50 individual; $100 for a family of two; $150 for family of three or more.
• Rock River Rapids, 1900 E. James, Derby. Opens Monday. Hours are 12:30 to 7 p.m. daily. Admission: Adults, $9; children 3-17, $8; kids 2 and under get in free. Season passes are $70 a person. www.rockriverrapids.com
YMCA water parks
All YMCA water parks will open Saturday and remain open through Labor Day, Sept. 3, with reduced hours when public schools open in August. Hours are 1 to 7 p.m. weekdays and 1 to 6 p.m. weekends. Holiday hours are 1 to 5 p.m. on Monday (Memorial Day), July 4 and Sept. 3. Admission: Free for YMCA members; $18 family and $10 individual without a member. For details, go to http://waterparks.ymcawichita.org.• North Branch YMCA, 3330 N. Woodlawn. Features: wave pool, body slide, kids cove, toddler bay, spray grounds, large play structure.
• Northwest Branch YMCA, 13838 W. 21st St. Features: lazy river, tube slide, plunge slide, spray/splash grounds and water basketball.
• Richard A. DeVore South Branch YMCA, 3405 S. Meridian. Features: lazy river, tube and plunge slides, diving board, climbing wall, water play center, water basketball/volleyball.
• Andover Branch YMCA, 1115 E. U.S. 54. Features: lazy river, tube slide, body slide, spray/splash grounds, large play structure.
Suburban public pools• Augusta, 1501 Dearborn St. Opens Saturday. Hours are 1 to 6 p.m. daily. Admission: Adults, $3; children 5-12, $1.75; children under 5 get in free; 24-punch pass card, $20.
• Goddard, 200 S. Main. Opens Saturday. Hours: 1 to 6 p.m. daily. Admission: $2 for all ages. Season passes available.
• Haysville, 525 Sarah Lane. Opens Saturday. Hours 1 to 7 p.m. daily. Admission: Ages 5 and under, $1; ages 6-61, $2.50; over 61, $1.50. Season passes: $60 a person; $115 for four people ($25 for each additional person).
• Newton, 401 N. Santa Fe. Opens Saturday and closes for the season on Aug. 18. Hours are 1 to 5 p.m. daily, as well as 7 to 9 p.m. Mondays through Fridays for family swim. Admission: Adults and children over 14, $2.75; children 5-13, $2; children under 5 free. Season pass: 25 passes for $45.
• Valley Center, 255 E. Allen. Opens Saturday and closes for the season Aug. 24. Hours are noon to 6 p.m. Mondays through Fridays; 1 to 6 p.m. Sundays. Admission: Adults and children over 6, $3; children 5 and under are free. Season passes available.