First Medallion Hunt clue to be revealed May 31
06/23/2013 3:12 PM
08/05/2014 7:29 PM
Dust off your sleuthing skills because it’s almost time for The Eagle Medallion Hunt.
The first clue to the hidden medallion will appear in The Eagle and on Kansas.com next Thursday, on the eve of the Wichita River Festival. The grand prize this year: a 2012 Suzuki Kizashi sedan.
The medallion hunt is a huge part of the River Festival, which runs June 1 to June 9, festival director Janet Wright said Thursday.
“We did a survey with people after the festival last year and again this spring with a class at Wichita State, and almost every respondent said it was significant having that medallion hunt,” Wright said. “It was something everyone looked forward to.”
Here are the basic rules for the hunt, which are the same as last year’s. See Kansas.com/medallionhunt for the full list of rules.• The medallion will be hidden in an actual location in Sedgwick County.
• The Eagle Medallion Hunt contest participant who locates the disk by midnight June 7, and returns it to the Customer Service counter in the lobby of The Wichita Eagle, 825 E. Douglas, by 3 p.m. June 8, is the potential winner of the grand prize (winner subject to verification of eligibility).
• The potential winner must be present to win the grand prize on June 8, about 7:30 p.m. at the Riverfest’s Douglas Street Stage.
• No Medallion Hunt clues, nor the hiding place, require entry onto private property.
• A new Medallion Hunt clue will be published in The Eagle each day, beginning May 31, and ending with the final clue on June 7, unless the medallion is found before then.
• Clues will be published on Kansas.com each day around 11 a.m.
• The contest ends at midnight on June 7.
• The hunter who recovers the medallion should bring it to The Wichita Eagle lobby, 825 E. Douglas, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• The medallion must be returned to The Eagle by 3 p.m. on June 8, or the grand prize will be forfeited.
• Newspapers will be available for purchase from 1 to 2 a.m. May 31 to June 7 at The Eagle.
• Copies of the paper will be available for viewing clues in the lobby of The Eagle between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• The contest ends when the medallion is found.
• The contest status will be updated daily on Kansas.com; on Facebook (www.facebook.com/kansasdotcom); on Twitter (@kansasdotcom); on the Medallion Hunt status line at 316-268-6250; and in print editions of The Eagle.
• The person returning the Medallion to The Eagle must provide a valid driver’s license, and that name will be used to title the grand prize.
• Be safe and play nice. Participants who engage in unsportsmanlike, disruptive or abusive behavior will be disqualified, at The Eagle’s discretion.
• Anyone who damages, destroys or trespasses on public or private property will be disqualified from the contest. Participants must obey opening and closing hours of public parks.
Eligibility• Participants must be at least 18 years old as of May 31, 2012, and have a valid driver’s license in good standing, to be eligible to win the grand prize.
• Participants must be a legal resident of the state of Kansas.
• Employees and their immediate family members of The Wichita Eagle, the McClatchy Co., Suzuki of Wichita, Wichita Festivals Inc., and board members of Wichita Festivals Inc. are not eligible to participate.