Seven teachers have received the Distinguished Classroom Teacher Award from the Wichita school district, officials announced today.
• New teacher, elementary: Megan Gross, intermediate special education teacher at Adams Elementary
• New teacher, secondary: Sarah McDaniel, science teacher at South High School
• Primary teacher (grades pre-K-2): Esther Calderon, second-grade teacher at Cloud Elementary
• Intermediate teacher (grades 3-5): Therese Cheatham, third-grade teacher at Anderson Elementary
• Middle school: Marie Hampton, sixth-grade teacher at Coleman Middle School
• High school: Katie Antholz, ninth- and 10th-grade English teacher at Southeast High
• Support teacher: Kim Lea Lawson, counselor at White Elementary
The teachers were nominated by peers, building administrators or parents. The winners were selected by a committee that includes principals, assistant principals, teachers, support staff, assistant superintendents and a member of United Teachers of Wichita.
The teachers will be recognized at the school board meeting March 12. At the meeting, officials will announce which will represent the district for the prestigious Kansas Teacher of the Year award.