Arrest made in December killing of Wichita homeless man

02/07/2012 5:00 AM

10/31/2012 6:01 PM

Police have arrested a 39-year-old homeless man in connection with the December killing of another homeless man near the Keeper of the Plains statue.

Patrick R. Perkins was arrested shortly before 6 p.m. Monday near Central and Broadway, police records indicate. He was booked into the Sedgwick County Jail on suspicion of first-degree murder in connection with the death of 41-year-old Marshall K. Hauschulz, who was found beaten to death on a concrete slab next to the Arkansas River near Central and Nims on Dec. 16.

Hauschulz lived under a bridge in downtown Wichita, authorities have said, but not the one closest to where his body was found.

Perkins had been questioned by police in the days following Hauschulz’s death, Reynolds said. Evidence and further investigation ultimately led to Perkins’ arrest.

An autopsy indicated Hauschulz died from blunt force trauma to the head, police have said. Investigators think he was killed on the concrete slab where he was found.

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service