A fire damaged an apartment and prompted the evacuation of the Shirkmere Apartments in downtown Wichita late Thursday morning, authorities said.
A 50-year-old man was smoking when the cigarette fell between two cushions of a couch in his fourth-floor apartment and ignited a fire, Fire Capt. Stuart Bevis said. The fire was reported at about 11 a.m. at 256 N. Topeka.
Bevis credited the quick actions of apartment manager Stephen Luinstra, who used a fire extinguisher to put out the fire and helped the resident exit the building. The victim was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation, Bevis said, then taken to a local hospital for treatment of an underlying medical condition. He has since been released.
Damage was estimated at about $2,000.