Fire officials are reminding people to dispose of cigarettes safely after crews responded to two mobile home fires Sunday. In both cases, the fires started in plastic containers and were preventable, said Wichita fire Capt. Stuart Bevis.
People should use metal containers with water or sand at the bottom and a lid to dispose of materials such as used cigarettes or fireworks, he said.
The first fire, in the 2300 block of East McArthur, started at about 6 a.m. in an outside bucket for disposed cigarettes, Bevis said. The fire grew overnight, he said. The residents got out safely. The fire caused an estimated $25,000 in damage.
The second fire, in the 4400 block of South Meridian, started at about 7:40 p.m. in a trash can on a deck where someone had dumped ashes, Bevis said.
Never miss a local story.
The fire caused an estimated $20,000 in damage. A dog died in the fire. No one else was injured.