The Butler County Sheriff's Department is investigating the electrocution death of a 9-year-old boy.
Zachariah Nelson died Friday when he was trying to turn off water in a hydrant in his yard in the 16000 block of Southwest U.S. 77, Sheriff Kelly Herzet said.
Emergency medical crews found the child unresponsive, according to reports. The boy died later at the Kansas Medical Center in Andover.
Witnesses told Butler County deputies and detectives that Zachariah yelled for help as he was turning off the water, next to a wellhead. A licensed electrician discovered that the water wellhead was energized, electrocuting the boy, Herzet said.