Memorial Day weekend is the traditional kickoff for summer activities, and for many, that means swimming.
Public swimming pools in Wichita open for the season on Monday. The pools normally are closed on Mondays through the season but will be open on Memorial Day.
Admission is $3 for adults, $2 for children under 18, $8 family rate (for up to six people). Discount coupons are available at each pool: $60 for 50 coupons, $40 for 25 coupons. Each coupon admits one child or one adult.
* Aley Park, 1800 S. Seneca, open through August, 1:30 to 6 p.m. daily except Mondays.
* Boston Park, 6700 E. Boston, open through Aug. 7, 1:30 to 6 p.m. daily except Mondays.
* College Hill Park, 304 S. Circle Drive, open through Aug. 7, 1:30 to 7 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays and 1:30 to 6 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays.
* Country Acres Park, 750 N. Country Acres, open through Aug. 6, 1:30 to 5:30 p.m. daily except Sundays and Mondays.
* Edgemoor Park, 5811 E. Ninth St., open through August, 1:30 to 6 p.m. daily except Mondays.
* Evergreen Park, 2700 N. Woodland, open through August, 1:30 to 6 p.m. daily except Mondays.
* Harvest Park, 9500 Provincial Lane, open through Aug. 7, 1:30 to 6 p.m. daily except Mondays.
* Linwood Park South, 1900 S. Hydraulic, open through Aug. 7, 1:30 to 6 p.m. daily except Mondays.
* McAdams Park, 1556 N. Ohio, open through Aug. 7, 1:30 to 5:30 p.m. daily except Mondays.
* Minisa Park, 1350 N. Jeanette, open through Aug. 7, 1:30 to 5:30 p.m. daily except Mondays.
* Orchard Park, 1062 N. Clara, open through Aug. 7, 1:30 to 6 p.m. daily except Mondays.
All are free and operate from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily. Fountains may be closed at any time due to weather.
* Central Riverside Park, 720 Nims
* Fairmont Park, 1647 N. Yale
* Lincoln Park, 1323 S. Topeka
* Osage Park, 2121 W. 31st St. South
* Reflection Square Park, 205 E. Douglas
* Warren Old Town Plaza, 334 N. Mead
* Wellington Family Aquatic Center, 1101 W. Harvey, Wellington. Open through Aug. 21, 1 to 7 p.m. daily. Admission: 17 and under, $2.50; adults under 55, $3.50; adults 55 and over, $2.50. Season pass: $50 individual, $100 for a family of two, $150 for family of three or more.
* Rock River Rapids, 1900 E. James, Derby. Opens Monday. Hours are 12:30 to 7 p.m. daily. Admission: Adults $9; children 3-17 $8; kids 2 and under get in free. Season passes are $65 a person. www.rockriverrapids.com
YMCA water parks
All YMCA water parks will open today and remain open through Labor Day, Sept. 5, with reduced hours when public schools open in August.
Hours are 1 to 7 p.m. weekdays and 1 to 6 p.m. weekends. Holiday hours are 1 to 5 p.m. on Monday (Memorial Day), July 4 and Sept. 5.
Admission: Free for YMCA members; $18 family and $10 individual without a member.
For details, go to http://waterparks.ymcawichita.org.
* North Branch YMCA, 3330 N. Woodlawn. Features: wave pool, body slide, kids cove, toddler bay and spray grounds.
* Northwest Branch YMCA, 13838 W. 21st St. Features: lazy river, tube slide, plunge slide, spray/splash grounds and water basketball.
* Richard A. DeVore South Branch YMCA, 3405 S. Meridian. Features: lazy river, tube and plunge slides, diving board, climbing wall, water play center, water basketball/volleyball.
* Andover Branch YMCA, 1115 E. U.S. 54. Features: lazy river, tube slide, body slide, spray/splash grounds, large play structure.
Suburban public pools
* Augusta, 1501 Dearborn St. Opens today. Hours are 1 to 6 p.m. daily. Admission: Adults, $2.50; children 5-12, $1.75; children under 5 get in free; 24-punch pass card, $20.
* Goddard, 200 S. Main. Opens today. Hours: 1 to 6 p.m. daily. Admission: $2 for all ages. Season passes available.
* Haysville, 525 Sarah Lane. Opens Saturday. Hours 1 to 7 p.m. daily. Admission: Ages 5 and under, $1; ages 6-61, $2.50; over 61, $1.50. Season passes: $60 a person, $115 for four people ($25 for each additional person).
* Newton, 401 N. Santa Fe. Opens today and closes for the season on Aug. 17. Hours are 1 to 5 p.m. daily, as well as 7 to 9 p.m. Mondays through Fridays for family swim. Admission: Adults and children over 14, $2.75; children 5-13, $2; children under 5 free. Season pass: 25 passes for $45.
* Valley Center, 255 E. Allen. Opens Monday and closes for the season Aug. 24. Hours are 1 to 6 p.m. daily until June 11, when they will be 1 to 8 p.m. Mondays through Fridays; noon to 6 p.m. Saturdays and 1 to 6 p.m. Sundays. Admission: Adults and children over 14, $2; children 13 and under, $1.50. Season passes available.