WICHITA — An electrical short in a heater is blamed for the fire at the Clarion Hotel in west Wichita on Thursday night, investigators said.
The short caused a fire that ignited drapes next to the heater in an unoccupied room of the hotel at 5805 W. Kellogg Drive, Wichita Fire Capt. Stuart Bevis said. A guest noticed smoke in the hallway shortly after 6 p.m. and alerted the front desk.
Firefighters had the blaze under control in 20 minutes. Damage was set at $4,000, Bevis said, because the fire did not spread beyond the room where it started.
The hotel was partially evacuated for a short time, he said. Four people suffered minor smoke inhalation, but they were not hospitalized.