WICHITA — Fire investigators suspect faulty wiring started the fire that heavily damaged the Heritage Restaurant in south Wichita on Friday afternoon.
The blaze, which broke out at about 3 p.m. Friday, caused an estimated $250,000 in damage to structure and contents at the Heritage, 4551 S. Broadway, Wichita Fire Capt. Stuart Bevis said today.
The fire appears to have started in structural space beneath the roof, Bevis said, but investigators are awaiting the results of an analysis by an electrical engineer.
Firefighters had to peel back portions of the restaurant's tin roof to get at a smoldering fire feeding on combustible subroofing, Bevis said.
Never miss a local story.
Heritage owner Michael Choi said he didn't have a timetable for reopening _ or even what that would take _ at this point.
"I don't have any idea yet," Choi said today.
Authorities said there was one person inside the Heritage when the fire started, along with several customers in Club Deb Ricks next door.
The Heritage has consistently been the state's largest seller of Kansas Lottery tickets.