Damage to Heritage Restaurant could top $100,000

02/18/2011 12:00 AM

08/05/2014 2:01 PM

WICHITA — Fire heavily damaged the Heritage Restaurant and an adjacent night club this afternoon.

Wichita fire marshal Brad Crisp said no one had been reported injured in the fire that erupted just after 3 p.m. at 4551 S. Broadway.

"We initially reported it as a second alarm fire, in the event things turned south," Crisp said.

Firefighters, however, were able to extinguish the blaze in about 20 minutes.

Crisp said there was one person inside the Heritage when the fire started. There were several customers in Club Deb Ricks next door.

"They were quickly evacuated," Crisp said.

Crews were still trying to secure the building this afternoon, so investigators could enter and begin to find out what started the blaze and the extent of the damage.

Initial estimates put the cost of the damage at around $100,000, the fire marshal said.

"I don't anticipate this business being back open anytime soon," Crisp said.

The Heritage Restaurant has consistently been the state's largest seller of Kansas Lottery tickets.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service