WICHITA -- A Sedgwick County District judge this afternoon pronounced Sam Holton guilty of two murders around Thanksgiving 2009.
Holton, 18, pleaded no contest to second-degree murder in the killing of Adrian Jackson and Jessie Foust. Holton also pleaded no contest to a charge of aggravated robbery.
A no-contest plea does not admit guilt but allows defendants to take advantage of a plea agreement at sentencing. But such pleas are treated the same as guilty pleas.
Judge David Kaufman set sentencing for Jan. 14.
Under the plea agreement, prosecutors will ask for all three sentences to run concurrently, meaning Holton will likely face about 13 years in prison.
Holton had originally been charged with first-degree murder.
Last week, Kaufman ruled that most of the evidence seized from Holton's home in Mulvane, and his confession after his arrest, would be inadmissible at trial. Kaufman ruled that Wichita police violated the constitutional rights of the Holton family by entering their house without permission.
During the hearing, prosecutor Marc Bennett said in giving a basis for the plea that Holton shot both Foust and Jackson. Foust died of a single gunshot to the back; Jackson suffered multiple gunshot wounds, Bennett said.
Jackson, 26, and Foust, 25, were found dead by a family member on Thanksgiving 2009. Their children, ages 4 and 1, were unharmed and had apparently been left overnight with the bodies of their parents.