WICHITA — Authorities have identified the woman who died in last week's house fire in south Wichita as 55-year-old Laura D. Earle.
Earle died at about 5:30 p.m. Thursday in the burn unit of Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis, a day after she fell asleep while smoking in her home at 4509 S. Oak, near Seneca and 43rd South.
Two people spotted the fire and intervened, authorities said. One tried to put the fire out with a garden hose from the front of the house, while the second entered the house through a back door and attempted to rescue Earle.
She was not breathing when firefighters arrived, but she was revived while en route to the burn unit at the hospital.
Never miss a local story.
The fire caused an estimated $30,000 in damage to the house and its contents, authorities have said.