WICHITA — A discarded cigarette butt is being blamed for a fire that caused more than $200,000 in damage early this morning at Marina Point Apartments in northwest Wichita.
The fire was reported shortly before 2:30 a.m. in Building 11 of the complex at 1985 N. Amidon, Wichita Fire Capt. Stuart Bevis said.
While everyone in the building left safely, the fire spread into the attic and caused $200,000 in damage to the structure and $20,000 to contents, he said.
"The crews did a good job" of keeping the fire away from living quarters, Bevis said. The roof was also spared, but the structure sustained substantial smoke and water damage.
Never miss a local story.
The Red Cross is providing lodging, food and clothing for 13 people displaced by the fire, spokesman James Williams said.
Families affected by the fire are encouraged to call the Red Cross at (316) 219-4050 to determine their eligibility for assistance, Williams said.