WICHITA — The two young boys were supposed to be taking a nap. But they decided to play with a lighter instead.
The result was predictable: a fire that caused so much damage that the house in the 4000 block of East Regents Lane Wednesday afternoon is likely to be ruled a total loss, fire investigators said.
The fire started shortly before 2 p.m. in the boys' bedroom and spread into the attic from the bunkbed, Wichita Fire Capt. Stuart Bevis said.
Family members tried to put the fire out before calling 911, Bevis said. That gave the fire a healthy head start on firefighters.
Never miss a local story.
While firefighters were able to keep the fire from gutting other areas of the living space, damage still amounted to about $60,000. That's more than the appraised value of the 60-year-old house.
No injuries were reported from the fire, Bevis said.