WICHITA — People calling the United Way's information number can schedule appointments for January for the Laid Off Workers Center.
To schedule an appointment, people must call 211 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. For people who may have difficulties dialing that number through their cell phone provider, an alternative number is 888-413-4327.
The deadline to call for an appointment for the January session is Friday.
The center will be open on a monthly basis as needed beyond January.
To qualify for help, you must:
* Preregister by calling and making an appointment.
* Have been laid off from a job in Sedgwick, Butler or Sumner county or lived in those counties at the time of the layoff. You must also have been approved for unemployment compensation since Oct. 1, 2008. People who were fired, quit or are on medical leave do not qualify.
* Show you have emergency financial needs and insufficient personal resources to provide food, clothing and/or shelter.
Services at the Center, at 2622 W. Central in the West River Plaza office complex, include:
* Emergency home and utility financial assistance as well as food assistance for those who qualify.
* Budget and debt management counseling.
* Help applying for government programs.
* Job training and search assistance as well as continuing education information.