SOUTH NEWPORT, Ga. —Measuring in at a diminutive 15 feet long and 10 feet wide, the "Smallest Church in America" is vintage roadside America along Georgia's coast and is quite the antidote to today's mega-churches that seat thousands.
The tiny sanctuary, built in 1949 from an idea conceived by local grocer Agnes Harper, is resplendent with stained- glass windows, seating for about a dozen people, a wooden pulpit adorned with a simple cross, and even a miniature bell tower standing sentry in the sandy front yard. Harper deeded the church to Jesus Christ — pretty much assuring her a coveted spot in heaven.
Tucked into a grove of gnarled, seemingly ancient oaks drizzled with Spanish moss, the church is located on Highway 17 just off Exit 67 (South Newport exit) on Interstate 95 and is about an hour's drive south of Savannah.
The nondenominational church — technically not the smallest in America; there are smaller ones in Arizona and Iowa, but it still gets the billing — never locks its doors and welcomes flocks from all religions.
Never miss a local story.
It's a special place, and it's an easy rest stop from the never-ending jumble of traffic on Interstate 95. Guests are invited to meditate, say a prayer, or merely sit in the warm glow cast by the stained glass.