Make it yourself• Foaming hand soap: The secret to the foaming is the pump, not what’s inside it. Refill these bottles with a teaspoon of liquid soap and the remaining volume in water. Turn the bottle upside-down and up again to gently mix the ingredients.
• Faux Mod Podge: Mix white glue with enough boiling water to thin to duplicate this glue and sealer.
• Chalkboard paint: Mix three parts latex house paint with one part plaster of Paris. Add water to desired consistency. Stir until smooth.
Orange County Register
Q: How do you remove dried-on hair spray from painted bathroom cabinets?
A: Not all hair-spray formulas respond to the same cleaning methods. You may have to try a few to find the right one. Test each method first in an inconspicuous area to be sure it won’t damage paint.• A citrus-based solvent such as Goo Gone.
• Ammonia and water.
• Mineral spirits.
• Rubbing alcohol.
• A microfiber cleaning cloth, wet with plain water and wrung out.
• One part fabric softener and two parts water.
• More hair spray. Repeatedly douse the area with the same product to try to soften the dried-on stuff. Wipe off the surface immediately after each application.
Akron Beacon Journal
Use thick gloves and lopping shears to remove dead, weak and conflicting canes of rose bushes. On hybrid teas, keep about half a dozen canes (or fewer, if that’s all that are alive) around an open center and cut them back to about 18 inches, just above an outward-facing bud. Remove any suckering canes emerging from the soil.
Shrub roses can be rounded off at a foot or so high. If a Knockout rose is healthy, it can be pruned to 6 to 12 inches high.
Washington Post and Bob Neier