The holiday season is a time to be on heightened alert to possible fire hazards. Here are some particular things to keep in mind.
For the turkey:
• Keep cooking oil at 350 degrees Fahrenheit to prevent combustion.
• Keep fryer on a flat surface.
• Keep propane-fired turkey fryers outdoors.
• Completely thaw turkeys before frying.
• Use extreme caution when placing and removing turkey from the fryer.
For the tree:
• Choose a tree with fresh, green needles.
• Keep the tree at least 3 feet away from heat sources such as candles or heat vents.
• Water the tree daily.
• Replace broken Christmas lights on the tree, and never use candles on the tree.
• Turn off Christmas tree lights before going to bed or leaving home.