The Grapevine (April 20)

04/20/2013 7:23 AM

04/20/2013 7:30 AM

Call 811 ahead of yard projects

If you’re planting trees or shrubs or fence posts, putting in a water garden or laying concrete, driving a mailbox post or building a deck, call 811 first to avoid interfering with underground utility lines. You can also request that utilities be marked by filing a report online at Whether you call or make a request online, utility locations are marked on your property for free.

According to a proclamation signed by Gov. Sam Brownback, the potential dangers of hitting a utility line are “service interruption, damage to environment, and personal injury and even death.”

The Kansas One-Call website also advises keeping in mind the potential spread of plant roots while planting.

Designer Q&A

Q: I have a ceiling fan in a small (11-by-14-foot) room that I am using as a guest bedroom and home office. I hate the dark fan because it’s so modern and massive, and the rest of the room is light, comfy and casual. What would you recommend I use to replace the fan?

A: Dara Caponigro, editor in chief of Veranda magazine: If the ceilings are about 8 feet tall, look for a flush-mount fixture. If they are higher, you can get a more decorative chandelier. Your instincts sound right about getting rid of the ceiling fan.

– Washington Post

Root out that dandelion

Dandelions are beginning to grow and set seed. Avoid spraying herbicides by digging them out with a fishtail weeder, the kind that has a forked tip to remove the tap root. If you can’t get to weeding for a few days, pluck off the yellow flowers as they open to prevent seed development.

– Washington Post

Tuesday night market to open

One of Wichita’s weeknight farmers markets, the Kansas Grown Farmers Market at GreenAcres, will open for the season this Tuesday. Hours will be 3 to 6:30 p.m. at 8141 E. 21st St., half a block east of 21st and Rock Road, in the parking lot of GreenAcres at Bradley Fair.

Entertainment Videos

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service