Gardener’s almanac (Jan. 12)
01/12/2013 7:47 AM
01/12/2013 7:47 AM
Yay for rain! – What a relief to get some rain for our parched landscape this week.
Christmas tree recycling continues – Sedgwick County’s recycling sites for Christmas trees will be open through Jan. 21. Your real Christmas tree must be stripped of all decorations before being taken to one of the sites, where the trees are chipped into mulch. The mulch is free for the taking on a first-come, first-served basis.
The locations:• In Wichita: Boston Park, 6655 E. Zimmerly; Buffalo Park, 10209 Hardener; College Hill United Methodist Church, First and Erie; Earhart Environmental Magnet School, 4401 N. Arkansas; Edgemoor Park, 5815 E. Ninth St.; Extension Education Center, 7001 W. 21st St.; Great Plains Nature Center, 6232 E. 29th St. North; Old Cowtown Museum, 1865 Museum Blvd.; Osage Park, 2121 W. 31st St. South; and South Linwood Park, Hydraulic and Mount Vernon.
• Outside Wichita: Cheney, East South Avenue and Garfield; Clearwater, Aquatic Center parking lot; Colwich, 115 N. 3rd St.; Derby, 2700 E. Madison; Garden Plain, at the water tower; Kechi, 107 Sioux; Maize, 201 S. Park; Mount Hope, 400 S. Thomas; Mulvane, 117 E. Main; Park City, 6801 N. Hydraulic; Valley Center, Veterans Park.
Protecting waterways – The January issue of the Recycling in Kansas Newsletter has these suggestions for safeguarding waterways, taken from the November 2012 issue of Waterkeeper:• Fertilize sparingly, and sweep up driveways and curbs.
• Plant bare spots in the lawn.
• Compost yard waste, and pick up after your pet.
• Check your car for leaks and recycle motor oil.
• Take your car to the car wash; do not wash in the driveway.
• Never dump anything in storm drains or in streams.
• Never flush unused medicine; check for a take-back program.
• Use the least toxic pesticides possible; learn to use no pesticides.
Suburban Garden Club meeting – The Suburban Garden Club will meet at 9:45 a.m. Monday at Botanica. The program will feature James Taylor talking about a variety of garden information. Lunch for those who are interested will be at La Galette. For more information, call Sherryl at 316-721-4810.
Birding at Botanica – Botanica will have its monthly bird walk at 9 a.m. Tuesday. It’s included in Botanica admission.
“Ten Snowy Owls” lecture – Local birder Paul Griffin will be at Botanica on Wednesday to show a video of 10 different snowy owls he encountered last winter in Kansas. The lunchtime lecture is from 12:15 to 1 p.m. and is included in Botanica admission. Truffles Catering will serve lunch from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. for $7.